Eating a giant low calorie high volume salad is the best way to start each meal (yes greens for breakfast before you dive into that oatmeal). But what to put on your giant bowl of nutrition?
You can navigate over to the big list of no oil dressings or try one of my go-to's.
No oil Italian (play around until it tastes good to you)
- 2 c. no salt vegetable stock, homemade if you have it
- 1/2 tsp glucomannan (thickening agent that won't lose body over time)/konjac powder
- 2 tsp no-salt Italian seasoning
- fresh or paste basil if desired, to taste
- 6-10 cloves fresh raw garlic, peeled and chopped or put through a garlic press
- 1/3-1/2 c. good red wine vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp chopped kalamata olives (optional)
- 2 tsp sweetener of your choice to taste
Put the broth and dried herbs in a small saucepan and add in the glucomannan. Allow to come to a slow simmer over medium heat to bloom the spices. The thickener works without heat but I like to add it while cooking. After 5-7 minutes remove from heat and add in remaining ingredients. I put it in the Vitamix to chop up the garlic, olives, and basil. Add black pepper if desired and more garlic and thickener if desired.